Recipe by Leggy Peggy
This is based on my Crunchy Granola (Muesli), but has been revised to cater for a friend who can’t eat wheat. I could have just noted the differences on the original recipe, but I wanted this recipe title to reflect the fact it is wheat-free (making it much easier for people who are searching for such recipes). I usually double the amounts shown here. If you decide to do the same, make sure you have a large enough pan. My ceramic roasting pan—which is 11" x 14"—holds a double recipe comfortably. My photo is of the dry ingredients.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup rice bran
- 1⁄2 cup barley natural bran
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (currants and diced apricots are also good) or 1⁄2 cup other dried fruit (currants and diced apricots are also good)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup honey (depending on your sweet tooth)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in the baking pan (first seven items). Raisins (or other dried fruits) are added after cooking.
- Heat the butter, honey, milk and salt in a small saucepan until all the butter melts.
- Dribble honey–butter mixture over dry ingredients, and mix well to moisten all the dry ingredients.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on how hot your oven runs), stirring frequently.
- This can easily over-brown (burn), so keep an eye on it.
- Remove from oven and stir in the raisins or other dried fruit.
- When cool, store in an airtight container. It keeps very well.