Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From "More form the Sensitive Gourmet" by Antoinette Savil
Make and share this Wheat Free Christmas Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 70 g glace cherries, chopped
- 170 g candied peel, chopped
- 340 g raisins
- 170 g sultanas
- 170 g currants (I don't like raisins or currants so instead I use a total of 680g of Sultanas)
- 70 g blanched almonds, chopped
- 255 g gluten free breadcrumbs (rye breadcrumbs or rice breadcrumbs or corn breadcrumbs)
- 255 g vegetable shortening (shredded vegetable suet)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 1⁄2 fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 6 large eggs (or use egg replacer)
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 140 ml armagnac or 140 ml brandy
- 3 tablespoons rum
- sunflower oil, for greasing
- Will make 1 large pudding (using a 2 litre pudding basin) or 2 medium puddings using (2 x 1 litre pudding basins).
- Generously oil a 2 litre or 2 x 1 litre pudding bowl(s).
- Put the dried fruit, almonds, breadcrumbs, suet and spices into a large bowl and mix together.
- Whilst the eggs until fluffy and thickened, then stir into the dry ingredients.
- Blend in the grated orange, the orange juice, the grated lemon and the spirits.
- The mixture should just drop off the spoon.
- Put the mixture into the greased pudding basin(s) and smooth over the top.
- Cover the basin with a layer of oiled foil, double folded in the centre and secure with string.
- Stand the basin on an inverted saucer or a piece of foil folded 4 times in a very large saucepan.
- Fill the saucepan to 3/4 of the way up with water, cover with a lid or foil and steam for 6 1/2 hours for a large pudding or 4 1/2 hours for a smaller one.
- Top up with boiling water whenever necessary.
- When cooked, lift the basin out of the pan and allow to cool.
- Store in a cool dark place.
- To reheat, replace the old foil with new foil and steam for 1 1/2 - 2 hours before serving.