Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from New Vegetarian Cuisine - yummy! Leave out the Parmesan cheese and this is a vegan meal.
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable juice
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 1 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes - until tender.
- Stir in the water, juice, lentils and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer to 30 to 45 minutes, or until the lentils are soft but not mushy.
- While the lentils are cooking pour the boiling water over the bulgur and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Remove the lentil pan from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the bulgur, tomato, basil and Parmesan (if desired). Mix thoroughly and serve.