Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This recipe brings back fond memories of growing up. I used to babysit for the lady that gave my mom this recipe. It is the first "regular" bread I made that turned out!
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups white flour
- Mix yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Leave 10 minutes.
- In large bowl mix egg, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and melted butter. Stir. Add yeast mixture and 2 cups warm/hot water and stir.
- Add 4 cups whole wheat flour and 4 cups white flour (3 at first).
- Knead for 10 minutes. Make sure dough is soft - but not sticky. If it is sticky - add more flour - a little at a time.
- Put dough in greased bowl and let rise for about an hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Cut and form into loaves. Grease pans really good.
- Cover and let rise until double. About 30-40 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. If desired, butter tops.
This bread is really good. I am actually eating a piece as I type. I ran out of regular sugar and had to add about 1/4 cup confectioners sugar along with some baking soda. Thanks for posting...I am going to be making this bread a lot.
Family loved it thanks so much for posting this! This bread worked well for toast and sandwiches which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm making more today (it didn't last long).
this bread is not only beautiful--it's delicious!! i've never had success with wheat bread as it was always heavy and dense---this is PERFECT!! maybe i'll be a little adventurous aftera a few more times to add some other ingredients--but there REALLY is no need to change anything!