Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These muffins are moist and chewy without being heavy, with a hint of caramel sweetness from the brown sugar. They're a great choice for breakfast or a wholesome snack !
- 3 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried pineapple, diced (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, finely grated (optional)
- Combine flours, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water; stir and let water absorb into bran. Add buttermilk, sugar, oil, eggs and remaining 2 cups wheat bran.
- Combine the bran mixture with flour mixture. Add raisins, pineapple and carrots. Stir until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spoon butter into prepared muffin tins. Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- The batter can be stored in the refrigerator in airtight container for 1 week. Bake the muffins at your convenience.
Very good! I added a good amount of ground flax and wheat germ. Also a couple tsps cinnamon and vanilla. I used about 1/2 cup raisen/craisen mixture and 1 cup chopped dried peaches because that's what I had. Very yummy and hearty. Thank you, Chef Glaucia.
This recipe yielded a very moist muffin, and tasted a lot like oatmeal! And what a plus! It's all good for you. I only made half the recipe and added mini-chocolate chips instead of the raisin and left out the pineapple (since I did not have any on hand). Easy and yummy, that's how I like it! Thanks for sharing yet, another healthy treat, Glaucia!