Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Chewy, nutty and good for you-Wheat Berries Rock! For a whole meal salad add sliced grilled chicken, pork or beef.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup wheat berries
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, 1 inch juliened strips
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 head napa cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seed
- In a medium saucepan combine water and wheat berries.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook 50 minutes or until tender (like barley).
- Drain any remaining liquid.
- Stir in black beans, mango, orange, onion, carrot, pepper, chutney, vinegar, sesame oil and ginger.
- Toss well, salt to taste.
- Add avocado.
- Make a nest of cabbage on 4 plates.
- Fill with wheat berry mixture.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Serve at room temp or chilled.
This is a delicious salad...I served it with my Christmas dinner and it was a hit!<br/>Thanks for the recipe!