Recipe by charlie #5
Love this salad especially in the fall. Sometimes I will make another batch of the dressing and add it in prior to serving if it has absorbed it all. Can't give credit to anyone - don't remember where I got this. Have been asked MANY times for this recipe. Really don't know how many servings.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 10 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, roasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick over the wheat berries for any foreign bits. Rinse. Add the wheat berries to a large pot with the 10 C water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or more until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a small bowl mix the vegetable oil, orange juice, vinegar, coriander and cinnamon. Set aside.
- To the wheat berries add apples, mint, shallot, and cranberries. Toss with the dressing to coat.
- You may refrigerate if you aren't serving right away. Just prior to serving, add the roasted cashews.