Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Yamuna's Table. Posted because others have requested it several times. Healthy and tasty.
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded & coarsley chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1⁄4 cups pitted black olives
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons vegetable juice cocktail
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked wheat berries
- chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish) or fresh parsley (to garnish)
- With food processor running drop ginger, chili, mustard and fennel seeds through feeding tube.
- When minced, add olives, oil, water and salt.
- Process until olives are nearly pureed, scraping down sides of work bowl as necessary.
- Combine the cooked wheat berries and olive mixture and toss to mix.
- To cook wheatberries: Combine 3/4 cup wheat berries with 5 cups water.
- Bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- remove from heat, cover and set aside for 1 hour, or until berries are tender yet still crunchy.
- Drain and cool.
I tried this recipe without expectations. I'm new to wheatberries and looking for ways to implement them. The result was chewy, different, and with additional spices I would make it again. I served with raw veggies & pita chips. Having the directions for cooking the wheatberries would be helpful at the top of the recipe. Thank you for sharing a new idea with me! Made for Fall 2011 Pick A Chef. You were adopted! :-)
Dh and I really like this. Made as directed, but forgot to serve the cilantro on top. Next time I will add more wheatberries to the mix, but other than that this was really good! Thanks!