Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very hearty grain salad that can be served as a side or eaten on its own as a light lunch. Sometimes I use a balsamic vinaigrette in place of the Italian dressing, depending on what I have made up.
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup shelled roasted salted pistachio nuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- Combine wheat berries and wild rice with 3 and 1/3 cups water in rice cooker and set to cook.
- Mix Italian dressing, honey mustard, basil and salt in small bowl and set aside.
- Combine cooked wheat berries and wild rice with cranberries and green onion. Toss with dressing mixture.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in nuts.
This was delicious. I didn't have Italian dressing or green onions, so I substituted Asian Ginger dressing and cilantro. Thanks for the great and easy dinner idea. (We actually enjoyed it both hot and cold.)
Totally loved this and it got better as each day went by!!
My mother-in-law makes this exact recipe (maybe she stole it?). It's fantastic as a side dish or main course. During the summer, I substitute fresh basil.