Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have made this many times, it came from allrecipes, and I wanted to have it here on my favorite site. This makes a bread with a tender and a little bit chewy crust, great flavor, wonderful as toast. I use Splenda Brown Sugar Blend to leave out the sugar. (that is optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces beer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Pour in beer, stir until a stiff batter is formed. It may be necessary to mix dough with your hands. Scrape dough into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
I have never actually heard of or had beer bread before. WOW! I can't believe what I have been missing out on. I love this recipe. So easy, so tasty. My family, small children and dogs included, LOVED it! This one will go in my "I don't feel like cooking tonight" collection because I always have the needed ingredients on hand. We used Yuengling lager in ours, and it was a very sweet-ish, pleasant taste. I also followed some of the other reviewers and brushed the top with melted butter, mmm...crusty. Already have the 2nd loaf in the oven to take to the office tomorrow. Thanks for the awesome recipe.
I love this bread I make it all the time. It tastes different depending on the type of beer you use. I pour 2 tbsp of melted butter on it before I put it in the oven it gives it a nice golden crust.
Used to by a mix from a homeshow company but who can afford it as much as I want to eat it? THanks for the subsitute. Comes out a little dry sometimes, but that is my cooking, not your recipe. THanks for the recipe. :)