Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A moist "healthy" banana bread.
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- raw sugar, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄3 cup pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Whisk together melted butter, sugar and applesauce. Stir in eggs, bananas, vanilla extract and water.
- In a separate bowl, mix flours, salt and baking soda. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir only until combined. Don't beat the mixture. Gently stir in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle with "raw" sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes. Start checking the doneness with a toothpick after 50 minutes. If not done, check every 5 minutes after. The toothpick should come out without any batter on it when it is done. Rest in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Just try to keep everyone away from it. The smell is intoxicating!