Recipe by Marlitt
This is a recipe for those wheat or lactose intolerant. Found this recipe in a recipe box we got at an estate sale, so I don't really know where it orginated. The brownies were actually very good.
Top Review by D Rusak
These were very good! Brought them to a picnic, everyone liked them. They were a little bit crumbly but not until you bit into them. They held their shape nicely. I used chopped almonds instead of walnuts and added some carob nibs. Also used flax seed instead of eggs, and agave nectar instead of brown sugar. Will definitely make again!
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup unsifted rice flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the nuts and keep blending until mixture is very smooth.
- Stir in the nuts and pour into a greased 8x8 or 9x9" pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the sides shrink a little from the side of the pan and the top springs back when touched.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.