Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe for those wheat or lactose intolerant. Found this recipe in a recipe box we got at an estate sale, so I don't really know where it orginated. The brownies were actually very good.
- In a medium bowl mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the nuts and keep blending until mixture is very smooth.
- Stir in the nuts and pour into a greased 8x8 or 9x9" pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until the sides shrink a little from the side of the pan and the top springs back when touched.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
These were very good! Brought them to a picnic, everyone liked them. They were a little bit crumbly but not until you bit into them. They held their shape nicely. I used chopped almonds instead of walnuts and added some carob nibs. Also used flax seed instead of eggs, and agave nectar instead of brown sugar. Will definitely make again!
I recently found out I have a wheat intolerance and I've been mourning the loss of baked goods ever since. I made these for my office and everyone loved them. No one even noticed they were wheat free until I mentioned it. I omitted the nuts and added chocolate chips. I also added about an extra ounce of melted chocolate, which I really recommend. It makes them a little fudgier. I had no problems with them falling apart as some reviewers had mentioned. They were simple to make and totally satisfied my wheat free sweets craving!
I used fleichmans unsalted margarine, (it is dairy free), and melted semi sweet dairy free chocolate chips...left out the nuts and it was delicious!! All of our friends and relatives enjoyed it. Thank you!!!