Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Save bits of leftover vegetables (of YOUR CHOICE) in a jar, in the freezer -- when the jar is full, make soup! For my family of five, I saved vegetables in a quart jar. Serve with cornbread or bread sticks, and a fruit salad.
Top Review by ellie_
wonderful soup and a great way to clear out the fridge/freezer. I did change this recipe slightly by using a beef bone and fresh vegetables and thus had to cook the soup longer than specified. The vegetables I used were 1 sweet potato, celery, carrots and cabbage along with the onion and garlic tomatoes and corn (I didn't drain the corn). I didn't use any beans but really enjoyed this soup. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 quart leftover vegetables (black beans, kidney beans, navy beans, baby lima beans, edamame, corn, hominy, etc)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 2 russet potatoes (diced) or 2 sweet potatoes (diced)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules or 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian tomatoes (basil, garlic, and oregano ~ with juice)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn (optional)
- leftover cooked beef (optional) or cooked chicken (optional)
- cilantro (to garnish) or Italian parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw leftover vegetables of your choice. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute diced onions in 2 tablespoons olive oil for about 3 minutes; add minced garlic and saute for about 1 minute more.
- Add diced potatoes, water, salt, beef or chicken granules, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat ~ simmer until potatoes are tender but not falling apart (about 10 minutes).
- Add thawed leftover vegetables. Bring back to heat.
- Add tomatoes (with juice) and optional Worcestershire sauce and corn. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Taste for needed seasonings.
- Add leftover cooked beef or chicken, if desired, and heat through.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley ~ Serve with cornbread or bread sticks, and a fruit salad.