1 hr 15 mins
Cannot take credit for this one either, TRUE! Brought to you by Simple Great Meals website too! http://www.simplygreatmeals.com.au Looked SO much like something for Australia Day! So I thought I would spread the celebration and bring this your way! Here's a photo of it to help you! WHOO HOO! http://www.simplygreatmeals.com.au/images/recipe/500_1812_166J.JPG
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1 cup milk (warmed for 10-20 seconds in the microwave oven)
- 1/2-3/4 cup wild rosella or 1/2-3/4 cup raspberry jam
- 600 ml pure cream, whipped until stiff
- 1Note: It is important to have all ingredients at room temperature to prevent the cake mixture curdling. Grease and line a shape of Australia or a 25cm deep round or square cake tin on the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- 2Place butter, caster sugar, vanilla extract or essence and eggs into a large bowl. Sift in self-raising flour and cornflour. Add milk and beat on a low speed of an electric mixer until all ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes until mixture is thick and creamy. Pour into lined cake tin and bake at.
- 3160°C for 50-60 minutes. When cooked allow to stand for 10 minutes before inverting on a wire rack to cool.
- 4Lamington Icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a medium bowl. Add melted butter and boiling water and stir until smooth. Place cake onto a wire rack with a tray underneath and carefully drizzle and spread top and sides with the icing, allowing any excess to dribble onto tray beneath.
- 5Coat evenly with coconut on the sides and top of the cake and place aside to set. When set, using a sharp knife cut the cake in half horizontally and set the top aside icing side up on a piece of baking paper (this will make it easier to handle). Carefully remove the bottom half of the cake from the wire rack and place onto a serving platter. Spread with jam allowing some to dribble onto serving plate and spoon on whipped cream. Place top part of cake onto cream and refrigerate until serving time. Serve cut into pieces or wedges.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whatabewdy Australia Day Cake
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.7
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 171.1 mg
- Sodium 547.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 60.5 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: