Recipe by SpicyDoc
I've been compulsively buying various non-perishable foodstuffs from Asian grocers and decided to make something with them. This recipe is EASY and is kind of a cross between Hot and Sour Soup and Ants-climbing-a-tree. Had it the day after drinking too much wine---really helped:)
- 1 quart reduced-sodium beef broth (1 big tetra-pac)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 minced shallot
- 1⁄2 lb ground meat (your choice)
- 5 dried black mushrooms (soaked in hot water for 30 minutes,de-stemmed and sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup tree ears, soaked and shredded
- 15 -20 dried lily buds, soaked, trimmed and cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded bamboo shoot
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot (pre-shredded from a bag)
- 4 ounces cellophane noodles, soaked, drained and cut into 2-inch lengths. (2 pouches, each pouch is twinky-size)
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar (or more)
- 1 tablespoon mirin or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili oil (the kind with the seeds and bits floating on the bottom-shake it up before using)
- 1 green onion, chopped (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour stock into big sauce pan, add ginger,garlic and shallots. Bring to a boil.
- Add ground meat and poach until cooked, breaking into chunks as you go.
- Add everything else and simmer for 5-10 minutes, adding more vinegar or chile oil to taste.
- The ingredients soak up a lot of the broth so I didn't bother trying to thicken it.
- Ladle into bowls,sprinkle with green onion, and be vague when your DW/DH asks about it.