Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I make pizza at least once a month, and this one is constantly requested by my family ( my wife's all-time favorite). This recipe is for a large pizza (14 or 15 inches). The ingredient amounts should be varied to taste and size of pizza dough. We have tried many different ingredient combinations (minced or roasted garlic, chopped plum tomato, cooked Italian sausage, and chicken) but always come back to this recipe as written. Take the time to prepare homemade pizza dough...it really makes a difference. Times do not include dough preparation. NOTE: I can not overly stress the importance of quality ingredients (olive oil, cheeses, fresh basil, etc.).
- 1 large pizza dough
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 pepperoncini peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- cornmeal, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Prepare dough as required. Roll out to fit pizza pan or peel.
- If using a pizza pan, lightly coat with oil and lightly sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Rub dough with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Top dough with provolone and mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with chopped pepperoncini.
- Place in oven and bake unti cheese is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and top with parmesan, onion, and basil.
- Return to oven for another 3 to 4 minutes.