Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
My friend brought this super recipe to a cookout. She said that she got it from HER neighbor and that her neighbor named it "What Happened?" because it has so many ingredients thrown together. Whatever the name, it is a KILLER dessert and is always the first one to disappear. I prefer it the day it is made so that you can really taste the crunchy pie crust, but it is equally delicious made a ahead of time and the crust is a little softer. It makes a ton and feeds an army....but it does not get much better than this! I also think it would be great with fresh fruit and fresh whipped cream...so if you try it that way, let me know what you think! We use strawberry pie filling, but cherry, blueberry, peach or raspberry would work, too. YUM!
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 pie crusts, baked
- 2 (3 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (20 ounce) cans strawberry pie filling
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- Combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs and prepare cake batter according to package instructions. Bake cake according to package directions for 9x13 cake.
- Bake pie crust rounds in the oven and cool. Break into small pieces.
- Prepare instant pudding with the 4 cups of milk according to package directions.
- Layer in the following order in a large bowl, you will have 4 layers of each ingredient:
- Cake, pudding, pie crust, pie filling and cool whip. Keep layering until you reach the top of the bowl, ending with cool whip.
- The prep time takes into consideration the baking and cooling of the crusts and cake.