Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
I LOVE dhals! Haven't made this one yet, but it looked good, so I've popped it on here for safe-keeping. Yield is estimated.
Top Review by realbirdlady
A modest dahl. There's nothing the matter with it, but none of us got very excited about it, either. The spices somehow go together very flatly, without the depth that a stronger blending could have.
- 2 cups green lentils or 2 cups brown lentils
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3-inch
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled, whole
- 1 inch gingerroot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3⁄4 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils & drain.
- Combine with 6 cups water, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, garlic cloves, ginger slices & turmeric.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat & simmer for 40 minutes, till lentils are tender & the water has been reduced significantly.
- Slice lemon thinly & add to the pot with salt, black pepper & cayenne.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, heat ghee till hot, add asafoetida & cumin seeds & sauté till the seeds begin to color.
- Pour over top of dhal & serve over rice.