Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Developed this through years of baking. Makes a truly phenomenal, moist, nutty, chewy whole-grain bread. **You can make this as a No-knead bread by increasing the water by approximately 1 C (so dough is very sticky and moist) and not kneading.*** This dough does not store well in the fridge like many of the other no knead breads. A serving is calculated as a slice. Freezes very well once baked and sliced.
- 3 cups white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups seven-grain cereal (can substitute entirely or partially whole oat groats or steel cut oats, sprouted wheat, bulger, ric)
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds (optional. Can also use any mixture of seeds you have on hand-poppy, sesame, etc)
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 -3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- If using oat groats, bulgar, sprouted wheat or rice, pour into a small pot and cover with 1/2 inch water. Bring to a boil and cook on low for 15-20 minutes covered until groats are al dente to soft. Let cool.
- Mix yeast, sugar, 1 C warm water, seeds (if using) & 7 grain cereal. Let proof for 10 min until creamy.
- Combine all ingredients & mix well. Depending on your flour and environment you may have to add up to 1 additional C of warm water. If need to add water, add in 1/4 C increments. Knead for ~10 minute Place into lg oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled ~1hr. (If making as no knead bread, add additional 1 C water and mix until all ingredients are combined. Dough will be very sticky).
- Punch down, let rest 5 min and shape into loaves.
- Let rise again and preheat oven to 500°F (You want the oven to have been heated for at least 30 minutes before you bake).
- Place in oven, scoring w/sharp knife. Pour hot water into steam pan and spray walls at 30 sec intervals 3 times (optional, allows bread to rise slightly more).
- Lower oven to 450 and bake 10 minute rotate if necessary and continue baking for another 10-20 minute.
- For a shiny, professional looking crust, brush tops w/egg yolk or white 5 min before taking out of oven.
- Let cool 45 minutes.