Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a large, heavy saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves and the syrup is clear.
- Boil for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Add the walnuts, bring back to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Serve and store at room temperature.
- Stir well before using.
- Variations: Fall Walnut Topping: Add 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup chopped dried figs along with the nuts.
- Process with the recipe as indicated.
- Walnut Whiskey Topping: Add 1/4 cup whiskey to the finished topping.
This was quite tasty. I cut the recipe into a third because I didn't want so much and it worked out great!
I started making this recipe about 7 years ago. It's perfect. I actually add a teaspoon or two of vanilla extract and a scraping of vanilla bean and it perfectly replicates the flavor of the wet walnuts of my youth.
Tripled recipe & added about 1/2 cup more water - didn't want syrup too thick. Outstanding recipe! Thanks Jan H. for a real sleeper keeper!