Recipe by Terri F.
Having grown up with these, I didn't realize that most folks have never heard of a wet burrito. It is a meat and bean (or all meat or all bean) burrito with a spicy gravy and cheese on top. They are available here in many restaurants, and no self respecting bar would be without one on the menu, lol! Once you try them, you'll never go back to "dry" burritos again! Don't let the long list of directions scare you, these are easy!
Top Review by Mark H.
These were very good and easy to prepare. The only change I made was I added a couple of pinches of salt to the meat after it had simmered with the tomatoes...it tasted a tad bland to me without some salt. I also used the "hot" enchilada sauce to make sure there was some kick to it. Otherwise I followed the recipe as close as possible. I'm sure these will be made many times in my house. Thanks for posting Terry.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomatoes, in sauce divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or you can use mexican blend)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups refried beans, with
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, added
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) jarhomestyle beef gravy
- sour cream
- chopped onion
- chopped lettuce
- chopped tomato
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic, making sure to chop ground beef into very fine pieces while cooking.
- Drain off any fat from browning.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, paprika, oregano, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and half of the can of tomatoes with sauce, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While meat is simmering, heat beans with 1/4 tsp.
- cumin, and make gravy.
- For gravy, combine enchilada sauce, beef gravy, and the other half of tomatoes, and heat until almost boiling.
- Soften tortillas according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Assemble burritos.
- On each tortilla, layer 1/4 of the meat mixture, 1/4 of the bean mixture, and 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Fold sides of burrito in, then roll from the other sides until you have a"package".
- Place seam side down in a 13x9 baking dish.
- When all burritos are assembled and in the baking dish, pour sauce mixture over all and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and burritos are heated through.
- Serve each burrito with extra sauce from pan spooned over the top.
- Have sour cream, chopped onions, salsa, jalapenos, chopped lettuce and chopped tomatoes available to sprinkle on as desired.