1/5 Photos of Wet Burritos
Terri F.'s Note:
Having grown up with these, I didn't realize that most folks have never heard of a wet burrito. It is a meat and bean (or all meat or all bean) burrito with a spicy gravy and cheese on top. They are available here in many restaurants, and no self respecting bar would be without one on the menu, lol! Once you try them, you'll never go back to "dry" burritos again! Don't let the long list of directions scare you, these are easy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in sauce divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or you can use mexican blend)
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups refried beans, with
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, added
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) jar homestyle beef gravy
- 1Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic, making sure to chop ground beef into very fine pieces while cooking.
- 2Drain off any fat from browning.
- 3Add Worcestershire sauce, paprika, oregano, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and half of the can of tomatoes with sauce, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4While meat is simmering, heat beans with 1/4 tsp.
- 5cumin, and make gravy.
- 6For gravy, combine enchilada sauce, beef gravy, and the other half of tomatoes, and heat until almost boiling.
- 7Soften tortillas according to package directions.
- 8Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 9Assemble burritos.
- 10On each tortilla, layer 1/4 of the meat mixture, 1/4 of the bean mixture, and 1/4 cup of cheese.
- 11Fold sides of burrito in, then roll from the other sides until you have a"package".
- 12Place seam side down in a 13x9 baking dish.
- 13When all burritos are assembled and in the baking dish, pour sauce mixture over all and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 14Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and burritos are heated through.
- 15Serve each burrito with extra sauce from pan spooned over the top.
- 16Have sour cream, chopped onions, salsa, jalapenos, chopped lettuce and chopped tomatoes available to sprinkle on as desired.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wet Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (737 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1028.4
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 136.8 mg
- Sodium 3080.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 60.2 g