Recipe by Mme M
The Westward Look is a well known Tucson resort. John Simic, a chef there, shared this recipe with Tucson Citizen readers in the newspaper's May 15, 1986, "compliments of the chef" feature.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh- squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup Galliano
- 1⁄4 cup grand marnier orange liqueur
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Slowly melt unsalted butter and brown sugar, forming a glaze.
- Slowly add orange juice, forming a smooth gel.
- Place strawberries into mixture and warm thoroughly, making sure all strawberries are covered with glaze.
- Add Galliano to the mixture and bring to simmer.
- Pour Grand Marnier into ladle and heat over flame.
- Ignite Grand Marnier and slowly pour flaming liquid over strawberries, producing a nice even flame. Keep pan moving.
- Spoon contents over ice cream. Keep pan moving and mixture flaming through entire process.