Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sourdough bread was a staple for cowpokes on the trail. You'll want some for this sandwich! Adapted from BH&G magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups sweet onions, cut in 1/4-inch slices-about 2 onions (Texas 1015 or Vidalia)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) beef flank steak or 1 (1 1/2 lb) boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 6 small romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 sourdough rolls or 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Prepare Horseradish Sauce:.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, horseradish, lime juice and oregano. Cover and chill.
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, coriander, salt and pepper: set aside.
- In a 12" nonstick or cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium low heat. Add onions, garlic, and 2 teaspoons of spice mixture(half). Cook, covered, for 13-15 minutes until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook and stir over medium high heat for 5-8 minutes more or until onions are golden. Remove from skillet; set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- If using flank steak, score meat on both sides by making shallow cuts at 1" intervals diagonally across steak in a diamond pattern. Rub steak on both sides with the remaining half of the spice mixture.
- Heat the same skillet over medium high heat until very hot. Add steak and cook, covered, for 12-16 minutes or until meat is medium rare(145*F.), turning once. Remove meat from skillet to cutting board; cover with foil. Let steak stand 10 minutes.
- Thinly slice steak across the grain.
- To serve, arrange lettuce leaves and steak on bottoms of rolls. Top with onions, dollop with horseradish sauce. Add roll tops. Enjoy!
Wonderful sandwich, i used venison and it was terrific. It scales down for 1 nicely as well