Recipe by superbuna
These are simply superb nut filled crescents. Do NOT substitute regular flour for the cake flour or you will not obtain the melt-in-your mouth pastry this recipe produces.
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 cups cake flour
- 3⁄4 lb sweet butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1⁄2 ounce yeast
- grated rind from 1 lemon
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup grated nuts
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- The dough:.
- Place yeast in milk to dissolve.
- Place flour and salt on board or in bowl and work in the butter.
- Add sugar, egg yolks and milk-yeast mixture, working the whole quickly into a firm dough. Add grated lemon rind and work it into the dough.
- Roll out 1/4" thick and cut into 2" squares.
- Cover dough and prepare filling.
- The filling:.
- Mix nuts with egg yolks and vanilla and set aside.
- Boil sugar and water carefully till it spins a thread between your thumb and forefinger when tested. Remove from heat.
- Pour it over nut mixture and stir hard with a fork.
- Mixture will resemble a very dry paste. That's okay.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon nut mixture on each dough square, roll up and turn ends to form crescent shape.
- Place on greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees F. until golden and done. Check after 12 minutes.
- Dust liberally with powdered sugar while still hot.
- Note: Don't be tempted to load more filling than specified onto these crescents or they'll have a tendency to explode because the filling expands during baking.