Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the sauerbraten I grew up with at my grandma's, my absolute favourite dish ever. We usually had it with potato dumplings and red cabbage. Preparation time does not include marinating time!!
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 2 cups cider vinegar or 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cloves
- 2 laurel leaves
- 5 peppercorns
- 5 juniper berries
- 2 medium onions
- 1 medium carrot
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces gingerbread
- 4 tablespoons apple butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon clarified butter or 1 -2 tablespoon lard
- 1 garlic clove
- For marinating the roast:.
- Cube onion and carrot, bring to a boil with broth, cloves, laurel leaves, peppercorns and juniper berries. Immediately remove from heat, let cool.
- Mix cold liquid (with vegetables and spices in it) with cider or red wine vinegar, pour over chuck roast and let marinate 4-5 days in the fridge (in a ziplock bag or airtight container).
- After marinating, heat 1-2 tablespoons clarified butter or lard in a large pot, get meat out of the marinade and sear from all sides until browned.
- Add the vegetables from the marinade and sear briefly, too.
- Deglaze with half of the marinade.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add minced garlic.
- Let cook for 1 hour.
- Crumble in the gingerbread and add 4 tablespoons apple butter.
- Let cook for 1 more hour.
- Add some water every now and then, if necessary.
- Add more salt and pepper, if necessary, and thicken the sauce with some cornstarch to taste.
- Serve with potato dumplings and red cabbage.