Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Parkin, a form of gingerbread that contains oatmeal, is popular in the Northern Counties. It is firmer int exture than the more spongy gingerbread and should be kept a little while before eating.
- 1 lb porrige oats
- 8 ounces flour
- 8 ounces demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 lb black treacle
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 3 fluid ounces milk
- Set oven to 350*F or mark 4.
- Well grease and line a deep roasting tin, 10 inches by 13 inches. Place all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Gently heat the treacle and butter together in a saucepan until melted and pour into the dry mixture.
- Stir well, add the beaten egg and stir again.
- Warm the milk, add it to the mixture and beat well.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 huors until firm. Leave in the tin for 1/2 hour, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Keep for 48 hours, then cut into squares to serve.