Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is adapted from the Creative Cook's Kitchen collection. It is a feel good food that is easy with ingredients most of us have on hand all the time. If you have a large cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet this is a one-dish meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, Chopped (red is recommended)
- 1 green bell pepper, Chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (to taste)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, Chopped (optional)
- 1 large ziploc bag
- Prehaet oven to 400°F In a large skillet (cast iron or other oven safe skillet will go from stove top to oven), heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook until softened. Add Chili Powder and Cumin; cook about 1 minute more.
- Add ground beef and cook through.
- Stir in tomato sauce, corn, rice, and salsa; cook until heated through. Spoon meat mixture into a 10 inch pie plate (or leave in cast iron skillet or other oven safe skillet).
- In a mixing bowl, combine muffin mix, egg and milk; spoon batter into plastic bag and snip one corner. Pipe (as with decorating a cake) batter onto meat mixture. You can be creative as to the shape you make the batter.
- Sprinkle the batter shape with chopped chives. Bake about 25 minutes, or until batter is browned and meat mixture is heated through.