Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mom has been making this as long as I can remember. It is easy, can be eaten right away but it is better if stands for a day or two.
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil or 1 -2 tablespoon cooking spray
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 (32 ounce) can vegetable juice (V-8 is best)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb spaghetti, your favorite style (I prefer angel hair, it cooks faster)
- 1 (8 ounce) jarsliced Spanish olives (the green ones)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a dutch oven coat bottom with oil or cooking spray. Saute onion, green pepper, and celery. Add ground meat and continue cooking until brown. Drain fat.
- Add vegetable juice, tomato sauce, and tomatoes. You substitute your favorite spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce and tomatoes, but the vegetable juice is key.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add spaghetti. Cook until spaghetti is al-dente.
- Add olives, stir to incorporate.
- In the bottom of serving dishes sprinkle cheese and dish warm stew on top.
- Good with garlic bread and a salad.
- Doubles or triples well.