My mom has been making this as long as I can remember. It is easy, can be eaten right away but it is better if stands for a day or two.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil or 1 -2 tablespoon cooking spray
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 -1 1/2 lb ground beef or 1 -1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 (32 ounce) can vegetable juice (V-8 is best)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb spaghetti, your favorite style (I prefer angel hair, it cooks faster)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar sliced Spanish olives (the green ones)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1In a dutch oven coat bottom with oil or cooking spray. Saute onion, green pepper, and celery. Add ground meat and continue cooking until brown. Drain fat.
- 2Add vegetable juice, tomato sauce, and tomatoes. You substitute your favorite spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce and tomatoes, but the vegetable juice is key.
- 3Bring mixture to a boil.
- 4Add spaghetti. Cook until spaghetti is al-dente.
- 5Add olives, stir to incorporate.
- 6In the bottom of serving dishes sprinkle cheese and dish warm stew on top.
- 7Good with garlic bread and a salad.
- 8Doubles or triples well.
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Western Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 746.0
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 90.9 mg
- Sodium 1812.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 36.3 g