Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
QC J/A 2005
Make and share this Western Skillet recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the water, tomatoes, rice, peas and soup mix.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Enjoyed this for lunch today. 93% lean ground beef was used to reduce some of the fat calories. I used Italian stewed tomatoes and thought this gave a nice, slightly sweet flavor to the dish. I cooked mine just a little different using a lid throughout the process to prevent the skillet from boiling dry. In step 2, I left out the peas and tomatoes until the rice was tender. After the first 10 minutes of cooking, I gave the mixture a stir and added about 1/2 cup more water. Stirring again 5 minutes later, at this time I added the tomatoes and *frozen* peas. I continued to cook for another 3 then 2, minutes stirring each time. Topped with the cheese and placed the lid on for another 5 minutes, no heat. Thank you for posting. Made for *Healthy Choices ABC 2009* game
I felt this could benefit from more seasonings, for me it tasted a little bland.