Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another easy great recipe, can't remember where I got it from, but it is a good one, remember trying it when I had some ground beef thawed and didn't know what to make for dinner, and found this, the family loved it. It's one of those dishes you can always put togerther fast, and always seem to have the ingredients handy. I think it was about 5 or 6 years ago. Been making it every since.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- Brown beef in vegetable oil with garlic.
- Add the onion and green pepper;cook until onion is transparent. Drain off fat.
- In a 2 qt casserole, combine the meat mixture, salt, chili powder, beans, tomatoes and rice.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and olives; bake for 15 minutes more.
I've been making this recipe since we moved to Sacramento in 76 and got a Sunset Magazine Cookbook from the Welcome Wagon (Does that organization still exist???) Anyway, my daughter still makes it, and my sister-in-law in Missouri! It's definitely a family tradition! A little time to put it together, then in the oven it goes! The Olives and Cheese really make it special!
This is an awsome recipe. I too am not sure where I got it, but whenever we have a church dinner people request that I bring it. I usually do it in my crockpot which makes it even easier. I am so thankful for this site. I lost my recipe & needed to make for tomorrow & my nephew gave me this site. Thanks so much!!!!!!