Recipe by WI Cheesehead
Can't remember if I got this off the Mac 'N Cheese box or where. It's a great way to change up plain old mac 'N cheese. Comfort food! If you have leftover fresh broccoli stems, chop them up and drop them in the boiling water with the noodles. I adjusted the recipe a bit.
Top Review by SelmaPatty
Thank you WI Cheesehead, this was exactly the recipe I was looking for. And, yes, it did originally come as a recipe on the side of a box of mac 'n cheese which is probably why I lost the little thing in the first place.
I like to make it with a regular 16 oz box of macaroni and just double the cheese. But that's me.
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) box prepared macaroni and cheese (pref. organic or natural)
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups corn, thawed if frozen
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare Macaroni & Cheese as package directs, adding fresh chopped broccoli, if using, in with the noodles.
- In a large ovenproof skillet (cast iron), brown meat, celery, green pepper and onion; cook until tender. Drain grease.
- Stir in corn, tomato paste, water, garlic salt, salt (if using) and pepper. Add noodle dinner; mix well.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake at 350° F, 15 to 20 minute Or in microwave oven for 8 to 10 minute.