1/1 Photo of Western Homestead Old Fashioned Butter Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
Old fashioned buttery thin crust on the outside of this tube pan cake. There is no salt or milk. Powdered sugar is the key to this cake and you can use butter, margarine or butter flavored Crisco. I use a combination of butter and butter flavored Crisco. No icing necessary. Serve with fruit, whipped cream or whipped jello or any combination. Recipe found in the walls of our homestead built in 1907 tacked along side of Lithuanian newspapers which were used for insulation. I have updated recipe ie. butter flavored Crisco and Pam. They pounded the sugar to become powder with mortar and pestle.
My Private Note
large t ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In mixing bowl, add 1 pound of butter or a combination of butter and margarine or butter and butter flavored Crisco to equal 1 pound.
- 2Mix on low speed until soft and blended.
- 3Add powdered sugar in one/third amounts, beating each one/third until all is mixed and fluffy.
- 4Then add one egg at a time. Beat one minute for each egg.
- 5Add vanilla extract.
- 7Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 8Spray Pam in a tube or angel food cake pan.
- 9Note: You can use butter or margarine also.
- 10Add flour, 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup at a time and mix on low speed until blended.
- 11Pour batter evenly in pan.
- 12Bake 1 1/2 hour in oven. High altitude, cook 5 to 10 minutes more.
- 13Turn over tube pan over plate. I guarantee this cake will fall right out on the plate. Serve warm or cool. This is a no fail cake. Do not open the oven door.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Western Homestead Old Fashioned Butter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 840.5
- Calories from Fat 452
- Total Fat 50.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.3 g
- Cholesterol 280.6 mg
- Sodium 380.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 56.0 g
- Protein 9.6 g