Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
This dressing can also be used as a marinade for meats. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious heart healthy recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program. When I was little, the only time I had salad was at my grandma's house, and it could only be with Western dressing. Ok, that still holds true. But still, I figure a home made version of the dressing would be pretty cool! Oh, and have you ever tried just putting some ketchup on a bowl of salad? It's great- (Just don't put too much on- less than a tablespoon is perfect for a bowl).
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 small onion, grated (optional)
- In a jar with a tightly-fitting lid, combine ketchup, oil, sugar, lemon juice and pepper.
- Cover and shake vigorously.
- Add vinegar, and onion, if desired.
- Shake again.
- Shake well before each use.
Nice tart, sweet flavor. Will make this for good now instead of buying Western Dressing.
Interesting having a dressing with ketchup and not being a French style dressing. Really good with the lemon juice (I added more) and I used green onion in it. I would cut back the sugar a bit next time. Thanks Bee