I got the idea to serve a salad in a grapefruit shell from The Star Online (http://kuali.com). Then, I added my own touch to the dish :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 grapefruits
- 1 cup boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 small avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1Cut grapefruit in half. With a curved grapefruit knife, cut around each section to loosen the flesh from the membrane; remove and reserve the sections of fruit. Squeeze the juice from the shells to equal 1/3 cup.
- 2With a spoon, scrape the grapefruit shells clean. Scallop or notch the edges, if desired (*see note below). Chill.
- 3While the shells are chilling, season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken for about 10 minutes over moderate heat in a nonstick pan or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 4Combine the reserved grapefruit sections, chicken, avocado and green onions in a bowl.
- 5Combine the 1/3 cup reserved grapefruit juice with the other dressing ingredients. Pour over the chicken mixture; mix lightly. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- 6To serve, use a slotted spoon to transfer the chicken mixture to the grapefruit shells, then top with as much dressing as desired.
- 7*Note: To scallop any citrus fruit shell, cut in half crosswise. Carefully ream out the juice or cut out the flesh with a grapefruit knife. The edges of the shell can be notched with kitchen shears or a paring knife; for scallops, use a coin to outline the pattern; then cut around the pattern.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Western Chicken Salad in Grapefruit Shells
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 517.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts