Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very hearty and soul warming casserole. Would be great served on a cold winter's night. Good any ole time of the year.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 11 ounces sweet corn, drained (like Niblets)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter (not spread) or 3 tablespoons firm margarine (not spread)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 4 ounces diced green chilies, drained
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease 2 1/2 or 3 quart casserole.
- In large skillet, brown ground beef and onion; drain well. Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoons salt and pepper;.
- blend well.
- Spoon into greased casserole. Spoon corn evenly over meat mixture.
- In medium saucepan, combine water, butter and 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and potato flakes with fork until potatoes are desired consistency. Stir in green chiles. Spread potato mixture evenly over corn. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly around edges.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Top with chopped tomato.
This is now part of our 'make repeatedly' week night list. Even my daughter liked it! I added taco seasoning to the ground beef, and topped with salsa instead of plain tomatos. Oh, and let it stand a bit longer than mentioned for the potatoes to firm up. Thanks for the keeper!