Recipe by Dreamgoddess
This recipe was a big hit at a recent birthday party for a friend. I just had to have the recipe! Enjoy!
Top Review by Jake Dunlap
Excellent! This dish is hearty and rich. I didn't feel like whipping out the dutch oven, so I just made it on the stove top and stirred it every few minutes as it simmered. Not that it needed any extra, but I love bacon, so I used 6 slices of chopped bacon rather than 4. This recipe would be perfect for a cold rainy night, or even a camping trip.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a dutch oven until done.
- Remove the bacon from the dutch oven and reserve.
- Saute onion in the bacon drippings until tender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, including the reserved bacon, to the dutch oven.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.