Recipe by Chef Petunia
We loved these burgers and the sauce is so good for dipping. We grilled our burgers with the onions on top of the patty and then I put Pepper Jack cheese on top of that. This recipe came out of one of those small cookbooks you find at the check out registers at the grocery store.
- 8 slices bacon, thick cut
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, smoky flavor
- 1⁄4 cup brown ale
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 4 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a skillet over med-high heat. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour barbecue sauce into a small saucepan and add ale, salt and pepper. Boil one minute and remove from heat.
- Shape burger into 4 patties. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spray stove-top grill or large skillet with nonstick spray. Heat over med-high heat until hot. Add onion slices and cook, turning often, until softened and slightly charred, about 4 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add burger patties to grill pan and cook 3-5 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Place patties on bun bottoms, top with onions, bacon and then barbecue sauce. Place lettuce and tomatoes on top bun. Serve open face on plate.