1/2 Photos of West Texas Beef & Beans
10 hrs 30 mins
Pierre Dance's Note:
My friend Joline is from Odessa Texas. She says her Mum and Gram' have been making this since before she was born. In the early 1960's her Mum got a crock pot and she changed the recipe over to meet the new technology. My Sister Eve claims there are summer foods and winter foods, but I don't buy that. A good robust soup, stew, or chili taste as good or maybe better in August as opposed to February. I just move the crock pot out to the patio table to keep the heat down in the house. The hot weather? Cook and eat in the shade, have plenty of cold beer and/or Sangria on hand and think how much nicer it will be after sundown. If you were never hot, you would never appreciate the cool! Is that Zen or what? As with most soups, stews, and chilies this is best prepared the day before and reheated to serve. It freezes well for quick meals a month or two from now.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb pinto beans or 1 lb black beans or 1 lb great northern beans or 1 lb kidney beans or 1 lb red beans or 1 lb navy beans, sorted and washed (look in the dark corners of the pantry, you'll find something)
- 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock (Homade is best)
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded,devained,minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce (my recipe 76752)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon coleman dry mustard
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder, freshly ground
- 3 lbs beef brisket, trimmed of fat
- 1Place everything except 1 cup Tomato Sauce and the brisket in the crock pot, mix well.
- 2Place Brisket in the beans and top with the other cup of Tomato Sauce.
- 3Cover and cook on low heat, 9-10 hours.
- 4Re-adjust seasoning.
- 5Remove meat to a cooling rack. Let beans cool and skim fat from the top.
- 6Either shred the meat or cut it into bite size pieces. Return to pot.
- 7Heat and serve with Basmati Rice cooked in chicken stock with a green cardamon pod, corn sticks (My Corn Sticks), a salad, and cold beer or Sangria.Try Cuestick's Tasty Sangria #69522
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for West Texas Beef & Beans
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 922.5
- Calories from Fat 557
- Total Fat 61.8 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 965.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 48.3 g