Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 1 1⁄2 lbs short rib of beef, 3-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew beef chunks, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 12 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled & diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 scallions, with some tops (cleaned and sliced)
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 large green pepper, cleaned (and chopped)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed, trimmed
- 10 ounces fresh kale, washed & trimmed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can okra, drained
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled & cubed
- Put salt pork and short rib pieces in a large kettle; brown ribs on all sides.
- Add stew beef and brown on all sides.
- Pour in water and slowly bring just to a boil.
- Add thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour, occasionally removing any scum that rises to the top.
- While meat is simmering, sauté onion, garlic, and scallions in heated oil in a skillet until tender.
- Add green pepper and sauté 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- After meat has cooked 1 hour, add sautéed vegetables and other ingredients to the kettle.
- Continue to cook slowly, covered, about 30 minutes, until vegetables and meat are cooked.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Take out short ribs and cut off and discard any fat.
- Cube meat and return to kettle.
- Reheat, if necessary.