1/1 Photo of West Indies Fish Cakes With Curry Aioli
Sue Lau's Note:
The light, slightly crispy fish cakes can be a welcome change to any Caribbean meal. Use the accompaning curry aioli (lots of garlic flavor there!) with it or use your favorite tartar sauce. Note: if using salt cod, you will have to soak that for several days in water, changing out the water about every 6 hours until the saltiness goes away (refrigerated). Then you will need to remove any bones, skin and cartilage if they are present, before boiling and flaking your fish. Enjoy!
My Private Note
fish ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups boiled cleaned and flaked salt cod fish (or may use 2 cups leftover cooked flaked light firm fish)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (Jamaican style preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup water
- oil (for shallow frying; as needed)
- lemon slice, for garnish (optional)
Optional Curry Aioli
- 1You can prepare the aioli in advance if you wish (just keep it refrigerated).
- 2Place all ingredients for the curry aioli in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth and creamy; set aside.
- 3Mix all ingredients for fish cakes together (except oil and lemon slices) in a mixing bowl until blended.
- 4Adjust water or flour, if necessary, to achieve a consistency similar to pancake batter (or just a tad thicker).
- 5Heat 1-2 inches cooking oil in a large skillet until hot.
- 6Spoon or drop approximately 1/4 cup fish cake batter into hot oil and cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden, puffy, and firm.
- 7Do not overcrowd pan.
- 8Drain fish cakes on paper toweling.
- 9Serve fish cakes hot with curry aioli or tartar sauce, and lemon slices, if desired.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for West Indies Fish Cakes With Curry Aioli
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.0
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 732.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt cod fish