Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is a savory stew that contains dark rum--great for a cold night. Make it and curl up by the fire and enjoy.
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs stew meat, cubes 3/4-inch
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 green pepper, cut into julienne 1/4-inch x 2-inch
- 1 red pepper, cut into julienne 1/4-inch x 2-inch
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into julienne 1/4-inch x 2-inch
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon cantonese sauce
- 1⁄3 cup stuffed olives
- 1⁄4 cup Meyer's dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large casserole place all ingredients in layers.
- Combine sauce ingredients.
- Pour mixture on ingredients in pan; cover and heat in 325°F oven for 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is done and veggies are soft.
- Just before serving or storing add and mix in olives and rum.