Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve this Caribbean-influenced dish with some crusty bread and an avocado orange salad. Recipe is from Bon Appetit.
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced, divided
- Combine 2 cups broth, beans, coconut milk, jalapeno pepper, thyme, and allspice in a heavy large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is almost tender, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Mix 3/4 cup green onions into rice. Continue to simmer until rice is very tender and mixture is creamy, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture seems dry and stirring often, about 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions.