1/1 Photo of West Indian Pumpkin Soup
Sue Lau's Note:
Has lots of spices and a little bit of heat from the scotch bonnet. Very Caribbean. Served either hot or cold, easily prepares in advance for when you need it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g cooking pumpkin or 907.18 g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 453.59 g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 29.58 ml melted butter
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers or 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 14.79 ml grated fresh ginger
- 29.58 ml snipped fresh thyme
- 9.85 ml orange zest
- 14.79 ml curry powder
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1419.54 ml chicken stock
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 59.14 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 118.29 ml toasted pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas; optional; for garnish)
- 1In a mixing bowl, toss squash and sweet potatoes with melted butter, brown sugar, salt and black pepper.
- 2Spread mixture onto a greased roasting pan.
- 3Bake at 350F for 1-1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
- 4Saute onion in oil in a large pot until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the scotch bonnet, garlic, and ginger and cook just until fragrant.
- 6Add the thyme, orange peel, curry powder, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, and bay leaves, mixing everything thoroughly.
- 7When it becomes sticky, add the roasted vegetables and stir to mix, then the chicken stock, stirring to keep blending everything.
- 8Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Remove soup from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- 10Puree approximately 1/3 of the soup in a blender until it is smooth then add back to soup and stir well.
- 11Add heavy cream and coconut milk and blend.
- 12Reheat if necessary.
- 13May also be chilled before serving up to 1 day.
- 14Serve cold or hot, garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds (if desired).
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for West Indian Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (3285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.2
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 490.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 7.9 g