1/1 Photo of West Indian Pumpkin Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
This is a rich, subtle soup, originally from The West Indies Cookbook by Connie and Arnold Krochmal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and chop the onions, and peel and mince the garlic.
- 2Brown the onions in the butter, and stir in the garlic.
- 3Add the pumpkin and broth and bring to a simmer.
- 4Add the bay leaves, celery in large chunks, marjoram, parsley and chives.
- 5Simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- 6Remove the pumpkin pieces and set aside.
- 7Press everything else through a strainer, and discard all solids.
- 8Puree the pumpkin and return it to the soup.
- 9Add the cinnamon and cream.
- 10Reheat and serve.
- 11If you already have pureed cooked pumpkin, simmer the seasonings in the broth for 30 minutes, then strain it as described above.
- 12Add the pumpkin and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more before adding the cinnamon and cream.
- 13Use 3 cups pureed pumpkin.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for West Indian Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.4
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 31.4 mg
- Sodium 674.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 7.2 g