Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This condiment is VERY HOT, and should be used sparingly until you get used to it. It will be found on every table, for every meal--it is part of the W.I way of life. It will also be added to soups, stews, curries and other cooking as a cooking ingredient--has a unique flavour.
- 1 kg fresh hot chili pepper (preferably a mix of red, green yellow, mostly yellow scotch bonnets)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped (approximately 2-3 pegs (or more)
- 3 tablespoons fresh finely chopped pawpaw, unripe green (papaya)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup malt vinegar
- Peel and finely chop all vegetables.
- Stem and seed peppers--plastic gloves should be worn as the oil from the peppers has been known to blister skin.
- Combine all ingredients in small/medium pot, stirring constantly. Bring to boil over high heat and cook briefly and briskly for 1 minute (until onion is transparent and peppers soft and limp).
- Add more vinegar if needed.
- Pour contents into blender (hand held can also be used).
- Blend at high speed until pulverised (some prefer pureed).
- Cool at room temperature.
- Pour into cleaned boiled and sterilized jar only.