Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This is an Island Spice mix that is often used in Trini recipes. Posted in response to a recipe for Trini Doubles.
- 6 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground habanero chile pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast all the seeds in a dry skillet, stirring well, until they begin popping.
- Lower the heat and cook for an additional 5 minutes, taking care not to burn the seeds.
- Cool the seeds and grind them all together finely in a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle.
- Add the turmeric and mix well if you wish to make a curry powder. Add the habanero powder for a hotter masala.
- Store in a tightly closed container in your spice cabinet.