Recipe by Candace28
This is a traditional black cake or fruit cake made in the Caribbean at Christmastime. You will love it.
- 1⁄4 lb chopped cherries
- 1 lb dried fruits (1/2 lb prunes and 1/2 raisins are perfect for this recipe)
- 1 cup rum
- 1 1⁄2 lbs brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb flour
- 12 eggs
- 1⁄4 lb orange rind or 1⁄4 lb lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 lb butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind dried fruits and soak it in 3 cups of rum.
- Store in an air tight container for three weeks.
- Prepare the caramel by heating the sugar until it turns dark brown.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, soaked fruits, and rum.
- When it is well blended, pour the caramel.
- Add the flour with the baking powder and mixed spice.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Pour mixture in a greased baking pan and bake in a slow oven (about 300 degrees F.) for two hours or until a knife comes out clean at the centre.
- Remove cake from pan after two days.