Recipe by spatchcock
Yum! Love this with cannellini beans and NO bacon, but you may include bacon if you wish. I served this with toasted pita bread triangles!
Top Review by Merlot
I made this a day ahead to take on a recent camping trip. This went over "big-time" with everyone as we sat around the fire talking and munching on this great dip. I used the bacon which gave this a wonderful flavor. Thank you.
- 6 slices bacon (I omitted these since I don't eat pork)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions (about 1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (19 ounce) cans white beans, such as cannellini,rinsed and drained
- 1 cup freshly grated monterey jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice, to taste
- tortilla chips or assorted crudites
Directions See How It's Made
- (If you want to use bacon, cook it and drain it. I don't really like meat, so I just omitted it).
- In reserved fat (or just nonstick cooking spray!) cook onion and garlic with salt and pepper to taste over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened and pale golden.
- Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minutes.
- Add beans and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- In a food processor purée bean mixture with all remaining ingredients except bacon until smooth and transfer to a bowl.
- Crumble bacon (if you want!) and stir into dip with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring dip to room temperature before serving so you don't break tortilla chips!
- Serve dip with tortilla chips or crudités.