Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 8 ounces dates, pitted, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, unbleached, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening, vegetable
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine dates, baking soda, and boiling water in a small bowl.
- Cool to room terperature.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
- Cream the shortening and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in date mixture.
- Then stir in dry ingredients.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F. oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Cut into squares and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.